How to write a top-notch about page
The About page is one of the most important parts of your website, but it’s very often ignored and neglected, leaving it looking pretty standard and a little bit on…
The About page is one of the most important parts of your website, but it’s very often ignored and neglected, leaving it looking pretty standard and a little bit on the dull side! Just because your competitors may be doing bland and boring, it doesn’t mean that you have to follow suit. Dare to be different and let your About page stand out from the crowd!
Why is your About page so important?
If you get it right, your About page can be an amazing sales tool that sets you apart from the competition and positions you as the go-to person in your field. It’s probably the main page on your website where you can really capture the attention of your target audience, and it’s where they decide if you are the type of person that they would like to work with.
So, how do you create a top-notch About page? In this blog article, we’ll look at seven easy ways that you can make your About page an awesome one!
- Tell your story – This is where YOU come into it, not a list of your qualifications, accreditations and awards, but YOU as the wonderful person and business owner that you are. Your About page is your opportunity to engage visitors and build relationships with potential clients. We all know that people buy people, and by sharing your story, you allow readers to get a real feel for you and your business. Show your human side and people are much more likely to connect with you. Think about why you set up your business in the first place and how you got where you are today. Paint a picture using your own unique story!
- Solve a problem – Whilst your About page should tell your personal story, it doesn’t have to focus entirely on you. This is where you need to be completely clear about your target audience. Think about how you can solve their problems. What are they struggling with? What challenges do they face? How can you help them? The aim here is that your About page offers valuable and authentic content that really speaks to your ideal client.
- Add a video – Videos are a fantastic way for you to connect and build relationships. If people can see you and hear you talk about the business that you love, they’re going to be much more likely to trust you. If you’re not feeling brave enough to incorporate a video just yet, use a friendly photograph instead, and be sure to choose one that shows off your personality.
- Share a secret or two – We all like to feel as though we’re part of something special, don’t we? By sharing something as simple as a few fun facts that not many people know about you can work wonders for your About page. It makes people feel like they’re part of your world!
- Set the tone – Use a conversational tone in the words that you use on your About page. This is a great way to evoke emotion and start to build connections. Fancy words aren’t necessary. Keep your content simple and write as you would speak!
- Include some testimonials – Social proof is invaluable, so share some glowing reviews on your About page to let people know how fabulous it is to work with you. By adding a few testimonials, it helps to break down any barriers and objections that your potential clients may have, as it allows them to see how you have helped others in the past.
- Create a call to action – Don’t leave it to chance. Let your reader know precisely what it is that you would like them to do when they have read your About page. Would you like them to subscribe to your newsletter? Would you like them to book a consultation call? Guide your reader and let them know what their next steps should be.
Finally, don’t forget to proofread! You don’t want to have done all that hard work, only for your content to be peppered with spelling mistakes and grammatical errors!